Quantcast i24NEWS - Fifteen military cadets killed in second Kabul suicide bombing within 24 hours

Fifteen military cadets killed in second Kabul suicide bombing within 24 hours

Afghan security personnel gather as they keep watch near the site of a suicide bomb attack near the Marshal Fahim military academy base in Kabul on October 21, 2017
WAKIL KOHSAR (AFP/File)
Assaults targeting mosques and the country's beleaguered security services have killed 200 this week

A suicide bomber killed 15 Afghan army trainees as they were leaving their base in Kabul on Saturday, the defence ministry said, shaking a city still coming to grips with the bombing of a mosque only 24 hours earlier that left 56 dead.

"This afternoon when a minibus carrying army cadets was coming out of the military academy, a suicide bomber on foot targeted them, martyring 15 and wounding four," defence ministry spokesman Dawlat Waziri told AFP.

The blast rocked the Marshal Fahim Military Academy at around 3.30pm local time, TOLO News reported, adding that the cadets were from the city's Daud Khan Military Hospital.

Kabul Crime Branch chief General Mohammad Salim Almas said police have launched an investigation into the attack which happened in the west of the city.

Security forces blocked the road leading to the scene of the attack as firefighters hosed down the asphalt.

In an email to journalists the Taliban said it was responsible for the ambush on the army cadets, taking to five the number of attacks on police and military bases this week that involved the insurgents.

Saturday's violence is the latest attack to hit the country within 24 hours. A string of assaults targeting mosques and the country's beleaguered security services have already claimed more than 200 lives in the past week alone, with hundreds more injured.

NATO's Resolute Support mission in Afghanistan tweeted that the assault on the army trainees was an "attack on the future" of the country and its security forces.

"This attack in #Kabul shows the insurgents are desperate and cannot win" against Afghanistan's security and defence forces, it said.

In the deadliest of the recent attacks targeting security forces, around 50 Afghan soldiers were killed in an assault on a military base in the southern province of Kandahar on Thursday.

Insurgents blasted their way into the compound using at least one explosives-laden Humvee -- a tactic used in three separate attacks this week -- officials said.

The militants then razed the base in the Chashmo area of Maiwand district to the ground, according to the defence ministry.

On the same day Taliban militants besieged a police headquarters in the southeastern province of Ghazni, attacking it for the second time this week.

See also:

'This is absolute barbarism': Kabulis come to grips with string of bombings

Comments

(0)
8Previous article'This is absolute barbarism': Kabulis come to grips with string of bombings
8Next articleUS government warns energy, aviation, water industry at risk for cyber-attacks