British police arrest second suspect over London train attack
AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth
British police said Sunday that a second suspect has been arrested in connection to the investigation of the bombing of a London train on Friday that was claimed by Islamic State and left 30 people hospitalized.
"A second man has been arrested by detectives investigating the terrorist attack at Parsons Green on Friday," London's Metropolitan Police announced in a statement.
Police said the 21-year-old man was arrested in Hounslow, west London, on Saturday night under section 41 of the Terrorism Act, which means the arrest was made without a warrant.
He was taken to a south London police station for questioning.
Officers had earlier arrested an 18-year-old man over Friday's attack, in which an improvised explosive device detonated on a train at the Parsons Green station in West London at 8:20 a.m. local time.
UK Home Secretary Amber Rudd called the 18-year-old's arrest in the port area of the southern town of Dover on Saturday "very significant".
Police later revealed that "a number of items" were found during a search in the Dover area and said they "keeping an open mind" about whether there may have been additional potential suspects linked to the attack.
Also on Saturday, armed police carried out an operation at a residential address in Surrey, south west of London, in connection to the attack probe.
According to Sky News, the home raided belongs to British couple Penelope Jones, 71, and Ronald Jones, 88 who have fostered a number of child-refugees over the years and who have been honored for their work on behalf of families and children.
The improvised device, which appeared to be fashioned inside a bucket carried in a supermarket freezer bag, caused flash burns to 20 passengers.
Others were injured in the stampede during chaotic scenes at the station.
A total of 30 people have been hospitalized as a result of the attack, none with serious or life-threatening injuries.
The attack was claimed by the Islamic State group via its Amaq propaganda arm several hours after the attack.
The terrorist group later claimed in a statement that they had placed "several explosive devices" and had only detonated one of them and warned that "what is coming is more devastating and bitter," according to a translation by the SITE intelligence group.
Prime Minister Theresa May has raised the national terror threat level would be upped to the highest possible category, critical, which means "an attack is expected imminently".
She added that troops would be deployed to key locations in the capital.
The incident comes after a series of terror attacks that have rocked Britain this year, killing dozens of people and injuring hundreds, putting the capital on high alert.
It would be the fifth terror attack in six months in Britain since March, when a lone attacker mowed down pedestrians and stabbed a police officer outside the British parliament.
A total of 35 people have been killed in four previous attacks in London and Manchester since March.
Three of those involved a vehicle ploughing into pedestrians.
The other attack was a bombing in May at a pop concert by US star Ariana Grande in Manchester which killed 22 people including children.
(Staff with agencies)
You need to be logged in in order to post comments. Sign up or log in