Middle East

People evacuate victims following air strikes on Douma in the eastern Ghouta region on December 13, 2015
Dozens more wounded in eastern Ghouta, two others killed in Damascus suburb of Douma

Air raids by Syrian government warplanes killed 20 civilians, including seven children, in an area southeast of Damascus on Thursday, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitor said. 

Dozens more people were also wounded in the raids on the centre of Hammuriyeh in Eastern Ghouta, the largest rebel stronghold in Damascus province.

The area is regularly bombed by the forces of President Bashar al-Assad, Observatory director Rami Abdel Rahman said.

Two more civilians were also killed by shelling in the Douma area, northeast of Damascus, while government forces were also pounding Eastern Ghouta with artillery fire, the Observatory said.

Rebels often shell the capital from Eastern Ghouta, to the east of Damascus.

Syria's regime said Thursday it was ready to take part in new talks in Geneva aimed at ending the war but appeared to make its participation conditional on which opposition groups will attend.

During an official visit to China on Thursday, Foreign Minister Walid Muallem said Damascus "is ready to participate in the Syrian-Syrian dialogue in Geneva without any foreign interference."

Omar Haj Kadour (AFP/File)

Read more: Damascus ready to enter Geneva peace talks: Syria foreign minister

Last week, the UN Security Council unanimously adopted a resolution endorsing a peace plan to bring the regime and opposition together for talks in January.

The plan is the result of nearly two months of strenuous efforts between top diplomats from 17 countries, including regime backers Russia and Iran.

But it does not address the sharpest difference between opposition groups and the regime: the fate of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

Muallem's comments on Thursday seemed to indicate government approval of the plan -- but with apparent preconditions.

He said Syria rejected "foreign interference" and the government's negotiating team "will be ready as soon as we receive a list of the opposition delegation".

The UN resolution calls for talks in early January that would lead to the "establishment of an inclusive transitional governing body with full executive powers" within six months.  

Youssef Karwashan (AFP)

Muallem, however, only referred to an eventual "national unity government".

He said Damascus would "compose a constitutional committee to look for a new constitution with a new law of election so the parliamentary election will be held within the period of 18 months, more or less".

The UN resolution was received coolly by Syrian opposition forces, including the main group in exile, the Istanbul-based National Coalition.  

Previous efforts to negotiate a political solution to Syria's nearly five-year conflict have faltered, including the 2014 Geneva talks between the regime and opposition forces.

More than 250,000 people have been killed in Syria's conflict, which began in March 2011 as an anti-government protest movement but which has spiralled into a multi-sided war.

(staff with AFP)

Be the first to comment

You need to be logged in to post comments. Sign up or log in