Israeli army orders demolition of Har Adar terrorist's home
Israel Defense Forces
The Israel Defense Force (IDF) announced Tuesday morning that it has issued a demolition order for the home of a Palestinian terrorist who shot to death three Israelis at the Har Adar settlement northwest of Jerusalem last week.
A copy of the demolition order was posted to the house and given to the family of the gunman, who was identified as 37-year-old Nimer Mahmoud Ahmad Jamal from the West Bank village of Beit Surik.
An army spokesperson said that the family has 72 hours to appeal the decision or it will be razed.
The attack last Tuesday took the lives of border police officer Solomon Gabrieh, 20, and civilian security guards Or Arish, 25, and Youssef Ottman, also 25, who were shot and killed by Jamal as they checked IDs of Palestinian laborers who were arriving to work in the settlement.
A fourth Israeli, the settlement's security coordinator Amit Steinhart, was also seriously wounded in the attack.
Jamal, who had been previously employed at the settlement and held a legal work permit for Israel, was married with four children and an initial investigation indicated that he had "significant personal and family problems" including a history of domestic violence.
His wife recently fled to Jordan and left him with their children.
Immediately following the attack, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that the terrorist's house would be demolished and that work permits would be denied to all members of the the gunman's extended family.
Israel has a policy of deterrence in which the homes of Palestinian terrorists who carry out attacks against Israelis are demolished, often overnight.
Human rights groups say the measure amounts to collective punishment, with the suspects' families forced to suffer for others' acts.
You need to be logged in in order to post comments. Sign up or log in