Diplomacy & defense

Palestinian mob attacks soldiers' vehicle with rocks, firebombs after troops enter Qalandiya by mistake

The Israeli army used the "Hannibal Directive" during its rescue of two soldiers who accidentally strayed into Qalandiya refugee camp on Monday night and came under attack, Haaretz reports.

Two Israeli soldiers were said to be using navigation app Waze when they mistakenly drove into the Qalandiya refugee camp overnight, sparking clashes as security forces deployed to rescue them that killed one Palestinian and wounded 15 people.

The Hannibal Directive is a highly controversial army procedure that allows for the IDF to deploy massive firepower in the event that an Israeli soldier has been kidnapped or risks being kidnapped, in order to prevent them from being captured.

The use of force is deployed in spite of the casualties it may cause, including to the IDF soldier in question.

The procedure was allegedly last deployed in Rafah, Gaza, during Operation Protective Edge when Lt. Hadar Goldin was allegedly taken captive by Hamas. Following the enactment of the Hannibal Directive, wherein the IDF fired at the location Goldin had last been seen, dozens of Palestinians had been killed and Goldin was also declared dead, although it remains unknown whether he was captured dead or alive.

The army is currently undertaking a preliminary investigation into the Qalandiyah incident in order to establish the exact circumstances of the event, although Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon has already signaled that the army needs to establish who sent the pair on their mission as they clearly were not familiar with the territory.

“The soldiers were apparently using Waze,” Ya’alon said Tuesday.

“I learned ages ago the importance of navigating with the aid of a real map, and mainly to know the surrounding area and not to rely too heavily on technology which can lead the user astray.”

i24news

Waze, the Israeli-developed navigation app acquired by Google for more than $1 billion in 2013, said the soldiers themselves were at fault.

"(Waze) includes a specific default setting that prevents routes through areas which are marked as dangerous or prohibited for Israelis to drive through," the company said in a statement to AFP.

"In this case, the setting was disabled. In addition, the driver deviated from the suggested route and as a result, entered the prohibited area.

"There are also red signs on the road in question that prohibit access to Palestinian-controlled territories (for Israelis). It is the responsibility of every driver to adhere to road and traffic signs and obey local laws."

The entry of the soldiers led to fierce clashes, with the two fleeing their jeep and Israeli forces staging a rescue leaving one Palestinian killed and 15 people wounded, officials said Tuesday.

Five Israeli border police were also wounded, one of them seriously, police said.

"Waze is an excellent tool, but it can have its limits," Israeli military spokesman General MotiAlmoz told army radio. "We are going to investigate what happened."

According to an Israeli police spokeswoman, Palestinians threw homemade explosives and shot at the forces, who also opened fire.

Israeli reinforcements were sent to the camp between Jerusalem and Ramallah to rescue them, provoking further clashes.

The Palestinian health ministry said one Palestinian was killed and 10 wounded. The dead man was identified as Eyad Omar Sajdia, a 22-year-old student.

The two soldiers who first entered the camp abandoned their jeep, with one hiding in the courtyard of a house and shooting to defend himself and signal his position, the military spokesman said.

The other fled towards the nearby Israeli settlement of Kochav Yaakov. Both soldiers were rescued unharmed.

Israeli raids on Qalandiya to arrest suspects have sparked heavy clashes in the past.

6 Comments

You need to be logged in to post comments. Sign up or log in
  • Michael Farmer
    March 03rd 2016 - 10:18am

English comprehension obviously not your forte, James ... and you misquoted me. Don't drink and type!

• James Spackman
    March 02nd 2016 - 07:44am

"quotes" from Mr (jew hater) Farmer..." only if I search my imagination" a stupid post ass you cannot possibly search another person's imagination.. But you can search your own imagination for the following Mr Jew hater..

Muslim Cannibalism: Jewish Soldiers Lynched and Thrown to Blood Thirsty Masses Who Ripped Them Apart and Ate Their Organs
    Posted on January 5, 2014 by Pamela Geller
    Arabs-waving-entrails-of-butchered-Israelis-in-Ramallah (1)

In 2000, two IDF reservists were lynched in Ramallah by a mob of Palestinian savages. New info has been revealed: after they were hanged, their bodies were tossed to a pack of bloodthirsty rioters, who proceeded to tear their bodies apart with their bare hands and eat their organs.

The Israeli government freed the Muslim terrorist who gleefully waved his bloody hands after the lynching of the two Israeli soldiers. Another release for “peace.”

Ramallah-lynch01

Details of 2000 Ramallah Lynch of IDF Soldiers Revealed Israel News, (hat tip Ty)

Transcripts from the interrogations of terrorists who killed Yossi Avrahami and Vadim Nurzhitz released, show utter barbarism.
    The Yediot Aharonot newspaper revealed Tuesday new details of the brutal murders of reservists Yossi Avrahami and Vadim Nurzhitz (z”l). The soldiers were lynched in Ramallah in October 2000.

The soldiers lost their way to their base on October 12, 2000, ending up in the Palestinian Authority (PA) controlled city of Ramallah by mistake. PA police forces took the two into custody.

Word reached local PA residents that undercover Israeli agents were being held in the building; some 1000 rioters reportedly gathered outside. The IDF declined to take action to rescue the soldiers; they were eventually stormed by the rioters.

One PA terrorist, Aziz Salha, got to the soldiers first, where he brutally murdered them – stabbing, beating, and dismembering them along with other rioters. He famously then stuck his bloodstained hands out of the window of the room where the two were held, eliciting cheers from the crowd.

The crowd then dragged the bodies to a central square, beating them further before setting up a victory celebration. PA police forces did not attempt to intervene and in some cases, participated in the barbarism.

A few weeks after the murder, the victims families filed a claim valuing 64 million shekels against the PA to the Jerusalem District Court. The victims were represented by attorneys Nitsana Darshan-Leitner and Roy Kochavi.

Now, transcripts of the terrorists’ remarks recorded during those proceedings have been released for the first time.

Ra’ad A-Sheikh, a Ramallah cop spotted a red Ford Sierra approaching the station. He asked the soldiers what they were doing in the city.

“They told me they lost their way and they need to get to Beth-El,” he said. Beth-El is close to Ramallah and is home to several central army bases in control of the Judea and Samaria region.

“I led the soldiers into the police station, after the crowds outside the station began pressuring me,” he claimed.

The terrorist cop took the soldiers to the second floor of the station. “I took a length of iron pipe – about 25 centimeters or so – and went into the room where there were two reservists.”

“I saw the soldier was alive and on his feet. I went over to the Russian soldier, and beat him with the tube I was holding in my hands. I then punched him in the head until the soldier began making gurgling noises.”

PA policeman Tariq Tabesh also participated in the murder. “I saw a soldier on the floor, laying facedown, crying and saying things in Hebrew that I couldn’t understand,” he told investigators. “I hit him on the back three times.”

Salha told investigators that he entered the fray after seeing a car with an Israeli license plate parked outside the police station. Israeli cars bear yellow license plates; PA cars bear white plates.

Salha alleged that the crowd encouraged him to enter the station. “I saw an Israeli soldier laying there, on his stomach,” he stated.

“I approached him and I saw a knife in his back right shoulder,” he continued. “I took the knife from the back of the soldier and stabbed him in the back two or three times, and left the knife in his back. Others in the room continued to hit the soldier in the legs.”

“After stabbing the soldier, I put my hand over his mouth to strangle him. I saw that my hands were stained with blood and my shirt covered in blood at the bottom, then went to the window and I waved my hands to people in the yard,” he recounted.

“Then I returned from the window and saw the other soldier lying on his stomach in one corner of the room.”

The trial against the terrorists is apparently still going, enraging the victims’ families after over 13 years of waiting. Michael Nurzhitz, Vadim’s brother, stated to the daily, “If I could sue the legal system [for taking so long], I would.”

“As if it’s not enough that the people who did this have not been punished for all that they did.”

Aziz Salha was released in 2011, as part of the terrorist exchange orchestrated between Hamas and Israel for Gilad Shalit.

Given the large number of people involved in the lynching, several of the participants have never been caught for the murders – or have been tried in court proceedings that have dragged on for equally as long.

Attorney Nitsana Darshan-Leitner decried the length of the proceedings. “The Palestinian Authority has been exploiting its rights to a fair trial in order to conduct long discussions over nothing,” she stated.

Shall we mark this down as another "WAR CRIME" Mr jew hater?
    easy as taking candy off a baby.

• Michael Farmer
    March 02nd 2016 - 12:36am

"you'll find that all armed forces of sovereign nations employ this policy. " .... only if I search in your imagination, Neil.

• Neil Gordon
    March 01st 2016 - 07:52pm

Funny how Palestinians expect a game of tiddlywinks when trying to lynch IDF soldiers! Michael, you'll find that all armed forces of sovereign nations employ this policy. But in your world, only Israel is under the microscope. Controversial, yes. Illegal, no.

• Michael Farmer
    March 01st 2016 - 07:30pm

Mark that down as another war-crime!

• James Spackman
    March 01st 2016 - 04:03am

First this is not a "REFUGEE" camp...
    I would suspect that the majority of the people who reside in this place are not in fact refugees...look up the word refugee in the concise oxford dictionary..
    second it is not a "camp" look up the word camp in the same dictionary..
    So stop this misleading, misinformation...
    If you at i24news do not know or understand English to a high degree, I suggest you stop issuing false statements...broadcasting falsehoods can get your broadcasting license withdrawn. or your internet service blocked, and your equipment an confiscated and your place of business closed..
    As for the soldiers and the IDF god kept them safe, because we know whaat happens to soldiers of Israel when they are captured by muslims dont we?

Posted on January 5, 2014 by Pamela Geller