Europe doesn't want to repeat the migrant crisis of 2015 that fueled support for far-right parties
European Union states are determined to prevent uncontrolled migration from Afghanistan following the takeover of the country by the Taliban, a draft statement prepared for a meeting on Tuesday says.
EU governments are eager to avoid a repeat of the chaotic influx of refugees and migrants in 2015 that caught the bloc unprepared and sowed divisions among them, fueling support for far-right parties as camps in Greece, Italy and elsewhere swelled.
The European migrant crisis peaked in 2015 when 1.3 million people came to the continent to request asylum, the highest number since World War II.
Nearly half of the asylum seekers were escaping the Syrian civil war, followed by large numbers of refugees and migrants from Afghanistan and Iraq.
“Based on lessons learned, the EU and its member states stand determined to act jointly to prevent the recurrence of uncontrolled large-scale illegal migration movements faced in the past, by preparing a coordinated and orderly response,” interior ministers will say at the meeting, according to the draft statement seen by Reuters.
The United Nations warned last week that up to half a million Afghan refugees could flee the violence-ravaged country in the wake of the US and allied military withdrawal and the takeover of the country by Taliban.
The UN said that there currently was not a flood of people fleeing across Afghanistan's borders, but added it was laying contingency plans for that to change as the country's crisis deepens.