- i24NEWS
- International
- ‘This is big,’ Trump praises Mecca agreement between Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Pakistan | LIVE BLOG
‘This is big,’ Trump praises Mecca agreement between Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Pakistan | LIVE BLOG
In a post on Truth Social, US President Trump said the agreement shows how "the Middle East is coming together, and how Countries will finally be able to defend themselves in a more meaningful way"


Eight Muslim countries say Israel ‘bears responsibility for obstructing efforts to achieve peace’ after rejecting Trump’s Gaza plan, in a joint statement of foreign ministers. The signatories included Jordan, the United Arab Emirates, Indonesia, Pakistan, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and Egypt. The countries say they condemn Israel’s public rejection of the Gaza peace plan, which “fundamentally undermines the collective efforts exerted to achieve a just and lasting peace.” The ministers reiterate the “urgent need” for the full and immediate implementation of a comprehensive plan, “which would contribute to addressing the dire humanitarian situation, ensuring security and stability for all in Gaza, paving the way for reconstruction and recovery, and advancing the achievement of a just and lasting peace based on the Palestinian people's right to self-determination.”
Meanwhile, US Envoy Jared Kushner alongside Board of Peace high representative Nickolay Mladenov and former British Prime Minister Tony Blair flew to Egypt to meet with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi. According to the Egyptian President's office, Kushner and Sisi discussed implementation of the Gaza ceasefire. The meeting focused on translating roadmap commitments into concrete, verifiable steps to preserve the ceasefire and begin transferring government authority in Gaza to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza, i24NEWS learned from a source familiar with the conversation. READ MORE FROM SUNDAY
Shipping through Strait of Hormuz slows sharply after tanker attacks
Vessel traffic through the vital waterway has nearly ground to a halt following attacks on tankers last week, as US-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remain stalled.
Only five commodity vessels transited the Strait of Hormuz on Saturday, with none recorded Sunday, down from 31 the prior weekend, Kpler shiptracking data showed. Traffic collapsed after the UAE said three ADNOC-operated vessels were attacked in transit last week.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said Washington must meet Iran's conditions for shipping to resume.
Erdogan: 'Türkiye will not hesitate to fight' if attacked
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan addressed Lebanon, potential conflict with Israel, and a new mutual defense pact in an interview with Al Jazeera. He said Ankara is working with Washington to protect Beirut while warning against any attack on Türkiye.
Erdogan said Israel is "naturally the aggressor" in Lebanon, which he said is "currently being subjected to continuous Israeli attacks."
On the possibility of war with Israel, Erdogan said, "We are not talking about war, we are talking about peace." He added that if Türkiye were attacked, "Türkiye will not hesitate to fight that war and will not run from it."
Erdogan also addressed the Mecca Agreement, comparing it to NATO's Article 5. He said Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan would defend one another "against any kind of attack" under the mutual defense pact.
‘This is big,’ Trump praises Mecca agreement between Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Pakistan
In a post on Truth Social, US President Donald Trump said the agreement shows how "the Middle East is coming together, and how Countries will finally be able to defend themselves in a more meaningful way." He ended his post by adding that the agreement was a “big, bold, and important first step.”