Mosque in Manchester torched just hours after deadly attack
EMMANUEL DUNAND (AFP)
A mosque was set ablaze in Oldham, a town of greater Manchester, just hours after the deadly Manchester attack which left at least 22 dead and 59 wounded on Monday.
Surveillance footage shows a man walking up to the entrance and setting the mosque on fire at around 3 am, the local Manchester Evening News, reported. Flames can then be seen as the man runs away. There were no injuries reported from the attack.
Hamad Mukhtar Irfani, a committee member at the mosque, told the Manchester Evening News: “It’s absolutely disgusting. It’s a disgrace someone would do this. There is no place for this kind of thing.
“Of course it’s in relation to what happened earlier in the night, but I know, you know and I hope everyone knows it’s barbaric people who do that kind of attack on innocent people,” irfani said.
“It’s just vile. Disgusting. Stupid. The mosque only teaches to live peacefully and in harmony,” he added.
Deputy Inspector of GMP’s Oldham Borough Ian Harratt told the Manchester Evening News that this kind of behavior would not be tolerated by local authorities.
“In the wake of the atrocities that happened at the Manchester Arena, this man thought it was acceptable to deface and set fire to a local mosque," Harrat said. “This behavior will not be tolerated. We are standing shoulder to shoulder with the community in Oldham and all the people who treasure this mosque as a place of worship."
“We have been working with people in the local community and the council to make sure that people realize there is zero tolerance around vindictive acts of this nature," he added.
You need to be logged in in order to post comments. Sign up or log in