Manchester police hunt for 'network' after pop concert terror attack
Oli SCARFF (AFP)
Manchester's police chief said on Wednesday it was "very clear this is a network we are investigating" in connection with the terror attack at a Monday pop concert that killed at least 22 people, including teenagers, children, and parents.
The UK raised its terror threat level to the highest level, "critical", which means further attacks could be imminent, in the wake of the bombing. Hundreds of soldiers were deployed to key public sites.
Five people had been arrested as of Wednesday evening, including suicide bomber Salman Abedi's 23-year-old brother. Abedi, a Briton of Libyan descent, lived not far from the arena that was targeted and became a suspect when his ID was found by forensic teams at the scene.
Home Secretary Amber Rudd confirmed that the killer died in the explosion and had been on the radar of the security services.
Reports said he had been banned from a local mosque for voicing support for the Islamic State terror group, causing authorities to flag him, and that he may have traveled to Syria.
Abedi "grew up in Britain and then suddenly, after a trip to Libya and then likely to Syria, became radicalised and decided to carry out this attack", French Interior Minister Gerard Collomb told BFMTV.
The New York Times, citing a Manchester friend, reported that Abedi's parents, who live in Libya, had become so worried that he was being radicalized that they took away his British passport.
Abedi reportedly told his parents he wanted to travel to Mecca in Saudi Arabia, one of Islam's holy cities, so they returned his passport.
You need to be logged in in order to post comments. Sign up or log in
Western elite no committed because not threatened yet.