German rock festival to resume after terror scare: organizers
Thomas Frey (DPA/AFP)
Germany's biggest rock festival will resume after being disrupted by fears of a possible "terrorist threat" which have proved to be unfounded, the organizers said Saturday.
Police said searches at the three-day "Rock am Ring," held near the southwestern city of Koblenz were over. Some 90,000 people are expected to attend the event which ends on Sunday.
Organizers asked fans at the three-day event to leave calmly "in order to help police investigations" but said they were hopeful the festival would resume on Saturday
The three-day "Rock am Ring," held at the famous Nuerburgring sports complex near the western city of Nuerburg, is scheduled to run until Sunday. It draws tens of thousands of people annually.
In a statement, police in the city of Coblenz said they were in possession of "concrete elements, in the light of which a possible terrorist threat cannot be ruled out."
"As safety is the key priority and any danger to festival-goers has to be avoided as much as possible, a decision has been taken to suspend the festival for today," the statement said. There were no further details.
Security for the festival had already been stepped up, with an additional 1,200 staff, in response to the May 22 Manchester bombing which occurred after a concert by US singer Ariana Grande.
Last year's Rock am Ring program was curtailed by violent storms in which dozens of people were injured by lightning.
The country remains on high alert after a jihadist attack on a Christmas market in Berlin on December 19.
Anis Amri, a 24-year-old Tunisian, hijacked a truck, killed its Polish driver and ploughed the vehicle through the market, claiming 11 more lives and wounding dozens.
You need to be logged in in order to post comments. Sign up or log in