At least six dead in London car, knife terror attacks
Dominic Lipinski/PA via AP
At least six people were killed on Saturday night when attackers in a van ran over pedestrians on London Bridge before escaping and stabbing people in pubs at the nearby Borough Market, in what police said were "terrorist incidents".
Authorities believe there were three attackers, all of whom were shot dead, Metropolitan Police said. Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said the three suspected attackers had all been wearing what appeared to be explosive vests, which were fake.
"The suspects had been confronted and shot by the police within eight minutes of the first call," Rowley said.
The London Ambulance Service said they had taken at least 30 patients to hospitals across the city.
Eyewitnesses accounts suggested that between two and four people were inside the van, who after exiting ran towards Borough Market. A witness told BBC that attackers ran into pubs to stab people at random.
BBC reporter Holly Jones, who witnessed the London Bridge incident, said a van driven by a man and traveling about at about 50 miles an hour drove onto the pavement, injuring about five people.
A taxi driver told BBC that "three men got out with long blades, 12 inches long and went randomly along Borough High Street stabbing people at random."
The incident comes only days before a general election and two weeks after a bombing at a Manchester pop concert that which killed 22 people, including many teenagers and an eight-year-old, and wounded dozens more.
It also comes several weeks after a March attack in which a terrorist drove a car into pedestrians on the pavement by Westminster Bridge and exited with a knife, killing five people.
In April, four people were killed in the Swedish capital of Stockholm when a stolen truck plowed into a crowd. Swedish authorities said the driver was an Islamic State sympathizer, with the government in his native Uzbekistan saying he had joined the terror group.
And in December, Germany experienced its worst Islamic State-claimed attack when a Tunisian drove a hijacked truck into a packed Berlin Christmas market.
He killed 12 people, including the truck's registered Polish driver.
Deadlier still was a July 2016 attack in France's Nice, in which a Tunisian resident killed 86 people and wounded hundreds when he drove a cargo truck into crowds celebrating Bastille Day.
This is a developing story.
You need to be logged in in order to post comments. Sign up or log in