Chemical inspectors enter Syria's Douma amid concerns for probe
LOUAI BESHARA (AFP)
International investigators on Tuesday entered a Syrian town hit by an alleged chemical attack, after days of delay and warnings by Western powers that crucial evidence had likely been removed.
The suspected gas attack on April 7 on Douma, near Damascus, reportedly left more than 40 people dead and was blamed by Western powers on the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
In response, the United States, France and Britain conducted unprecedented missile strikes on Syrian military installations, but Paris admitted on Tuesday they were a matter of "honour" that had solved nothing.
"Experts from the chemical weapons committee enter the town of Douma," state news agency SANA wrote, referring to the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW).
The inspectors arrived in Damascus on the day of the Western strikes but had not been allowed to enter Douma.
France and the United States appeared to question the purpose of such a mission, warning that any incriminating evidence had likely been removed by now.
"It is highly likely that evidence and essential elements disappear from the site, which is completely controlled by the Russian and Syrian armies," the French foreign ministry said.
The US ambassador to the OPCW, Ken Ward, had claimed Monday that the Russians had already visited the site and "may have tampered with it".
The war of words continued to spiral between the Russian-backed Syria regime and the West but a military escalation looked to have been averted despite both sides trading threats after the strikes.
Yet, a report on state news agency SANA that Syrian air defenses had shot down missiles over Homs province overnight raised fears that further action had indeed been taken.
It branded the incident an "aggression" but did not name a specific country.
Big explosions were heard overnight near Shayrat air base, southeast of Homs city, and near Damascus where two other air bases are located, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported.
- 'False alarm' -
Later Tuesday, however, SANA retracted the report, stressing there had been "no external attack" on Syria.
"Last night, a false alarm that Syrian air space had been penetrated triggered the blowing of air defense sirens and the firing of several missiles," a military source told the agency.
Both the US and Israel appeared to deny involvement in the overnight incident, which would have been the third time that Homs province was bombed in just over a week.
But a Syrian pro-regime officer told Reuters news agency that it was sparked by a “joint electronic operation” carried out by Israel and the US.
After Saturday's strikes, which destroyed mostly empty buildings, the trio of Western powers trying to reassert influence on the seven-year-old war have appeared to favor diplomatic action.
A series of meetings was scheduled in a bid to relaunch talks aimed at ending a war that has left more than 350,000 people dead and displaced more than half of the Syrian population.
Analysts have said however that it would take more for the West to mount a meaningful challenge to Russia's weight as a broker.
"For a new diplomatic initiative to work, the balance on the ground must be changed... otherwise the regime backed by Russia and Iran will still have the upper hand and no political transition is possible," said Nabeel Khoury.
"As it is, even with this latest bombing, the West does not have a seat at the table," said the former US diplomat, currently a fellow at the Atlantic Council think-tank.
You need to be logged in in order to post comments. Sign up or log in