Syria's Assad says next priority is retaking Idlib: Russian media
(SANA via AP)
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad told Russian media on Thursday his regime's next priority would be retaking Idlib province, currently dominated by rebels and jihadists.
"Now Idlib is our goal, but not just Idlib," Assad said of the northwestern province, in comments carried on Russian newswires.
"There are of course territories in the eastern part of Syria that are controlled by various groups... So we will be moving into all these regions," Assad added.
"The military -- and it is at their discretion -- will decide priorities and Idlib is one of these priorities," he said.
"Now we have liberated Ghouta, we will finish the liberation of the south-western part of Syria," Assad said.
Syrian government forces launched an offensive last month backed by Russian planes to retake the south of Syria, including Daraa and Quneitra provinces.
Russia, Turkey and Iran have held talks under the Astana peace process launched last year and agreed to create four "de-escalation" zones to pave the way for a nationwide ceasefire.
Idlib is part of one such zone. It borders Turkey to the northwest but is otherwise almost totally surrounded by regime territory, prompting fears the government would eventually attack it.
Idlib has received many rebels and their families evacuated from other regions under Russian-brokered "reconciliation deals" that then saw regime forces move in to take rebel-held areas.
According to the United Nations, Idlib's population today stands at 2.5 million -- half of them displaced people.
The south of Syria, where Assad forces have taken control from the rebel through intense fighting, was also a "de-escalation" zone agreed upon last year by the US, Russia and Jordan.
Russia has backed Assad's forces offensive in the south, thus breaking the agreement it signed with Russia and Jordan.
In the same interview Assad said rescue workers from the White Helmets group would be killed if they did not turn themselves in.
"Either they can lay down their arms as part of an amnesty ongoing for four or five years, or they will be liquidated like any other terrorist," he said.
In an unprecedented humanitarian operation, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) facilitated the transfer of 422 Syrian White Helmets rescuers and their families out of the besieged south of the country and on to Jordan at the request of the United States and European countries.
"Upon request of the US, Canada and European states Israel has completed a humanitarian effort to rescue members of a Syrian civil organization ("White Helmets") and families," Israeli foreign ministry spokesman Emmanuel Nahshon tweeted.
The request came as the civil defense volunteers were threatened by advancing forces of the Syrian regime in the south of the war-ravaged country.
"Following an Israeli government directive and at the request of the United States and additional European countries, the IDF recently completed a humanitarian effort to rescue members of a Syrian civil organization and their families," the army said in a statement.
“The civilians were evacuated from the war zone in Southern Syria due to an immediate threat to their lives,” the army said, adding that they were "subsequently transferred to a neighboring country."
But hundreds of White Helmet's still remain trapped in the south, fearing reprisals from approaching regime troops. Damascus accuses the White Helmets of being a front for jihadists.
Assad also appealed for Syrian refugees, especially those who had their own businesses in the country, to return.
The war has killed more than 350,000 people since it began in 2011 with a brutal government crackdown on protesters
You need to be logged in in order to post comments. Sign up or log in