Asked about Har Adar shooting attack, adviser says Abbas condemns 'all violence'
ANGELA WEISS (AFP)
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas condemns "all acts of violence" including the killing of three Israelis by a Palestinian gunman on Tuesday in the West Bank settlement of Har Adar, an aide said in a radio interview on Thursday.
Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu has expressed anger about Abbas' silence over the attack on two security guards and a border policeman, carried out by unemployed 37 year-old Nimer Mahmoud Ahmad Jamal.
A senior Abbas adviser, Nabil Abu Rudeina, was asked about the official PA position on the attack in a Voice of Palestine radio interview on Thursday.
According to an account of the interview carried by the official Wafa news agency, "the spokesman confirmed that the permanent position of the President is to condemn all acts of violence, including [the Har Adar attack] and to condemn any acts of violence, whatever the source."
Jamal arrived at the entrance to Har Adar, where he was previously employed, on Tuesday morning and opened fire with a weapon that was concealed on his body.
20-year-old border policeman Solomon Gabriah from Be'er Yaakov in central Israel, and private security guards Yosef Ottman from the nearby Arab-Israeli village of Abu Ghosh and Or Arish, 25, from Har Adar were killed.
One of US President Donald Trump's Middle East peace envoys, Jason Greenblatt, paid mourning visits to the three grieving families during his current visit to the region as part of the White House's effort to resuscitate long-moribund peace talks.
He described the attack as "despicable."
I also visited the family of Youssef Ottman, another young man killed by the same terrorist while protecting others. 4/5 pic.twitter.com/gjJyy0LPiM— Jason D. Greenblatt (@jdgreenblatt45) September 28, 2017
You need to be logged in in order to post comments. Sign up or log in