• Content
  • Menu
  • Footer
  • Sign in
    • Top stories
    • Israel
    • Middle East
    • Israel elections 2026
    • International
    • INNOV'NATION
    • Videos
    • Radio
    • Shows
    • Schedules
    • Channels
    • Profiles
    • English
    • Français
    • عربى
    • עברית
  • Live

  • i24NEWS
  • Israel
  • Defense News
  • IDF investigates 5 incidents in which civilians were killed during Gaza war: Here’s what it found

IDF investigates 5 incidents in which civilians were killed during Gaza war: Here’s what it found


The IDF's fact-finding mechanism has reviewed approximately 150 'exceptional operational incidents' since the beginning of the Gaza war

Danna Avni
Danna Avni ■ i24NEWS Digital Journalist
7 min read
7 min read
 ■ 
  • Israel
  • IDF
  • UN
  • Gaza
  • investigation
Google NewsFollow usFollow
IDF strikes over 120 terrorist targets in operations in Gaza Strip over past day
IDF strikes over 120 terrorist targets in operations in Gaza Strip over past dayIDF Spokesperson

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said Wednesday that Israel’s Military Prosecution has made decisions regarding five incidents in which civilians or humanitarian workers were killed during the Gaza war.

Following the investigation into five 'exceptional operational incidents,' two cases will now be subject to criminal investigations.

The IDF's Fact-Finding mechanism (FFAM) has reviewed approximately 150 exceptional operational incidents since the beginning of the war and transferred its findings to the Military Prosecution for review.

The mechanism was established several years ago following a government decision to examine exceptional incidents and provide commanders and military prosecutors with factual assessments.


In the most prominent case, the Military Prosecution reviewed the April 1, 2024 deaths of seven employees of World Central Kitchen (WCK) in Deir al-Balah.

According to the IDF, troops mistakenly believed that Hamas operatives had taken control of a humanitarian convoy after identifying what they believed to be an armed person and vehicles behaving in a manner consistent with Hamas activity. The examination found that WCK had hired an armed security force to accompany the convoy, but that its presence had not been coordinated with the IDF.

After the convoy unloaded aid, several individuals entered vehicles and traveled south, deviating from the route previously coordinated with the military. The IDF said troops consequently believed the vehicles contained Hamas operatives and struck them.


The examination found serious failures in the chain of events. However, the Military Prosecution concluded that the commanders' decisions did not create a reasonable suspicion of criminal misconduct given the operational circumstances and the indicators available to them at the time.

The IDF said no criminal investigation would therefore be opened. It noted that disciplinary and command measures had already been taken, including the removal of two officers and formal reprimands for four senior commanders.

A second case, involving the deaths of nine Palestinians in Gaza City in January 2024, will be investigated by the Military Police Criminal Investigation Division (MPCID).

The incident involved fire toward a vehicle carrying members of the Hamada family, followed hours later by an incident involving a Palestine Red Crescent ambulance dispatched to evacuate casualties. The dead included child Hind Rajab and her cousin Layan Hamada, as well as two paramedics.


The Military Prosecution said its decision to open a criminal investigation followed findings concerning failures in coordinating the ambulance's movement.

The Military Prosecution also ordered a criminal investigation into the deaths of 15 Palestinians, including medical personnel and a UN employee, during three shooting incidents in the Tel al-Sultan area on March 23, 2025.

According to the IDF, troops had been positioned in an ambush ahead of an operation against Hamas. Soldiers initially fired at a vehicle they identified as belonging to Hamas. About an hour later, several vehicles approached at high speed and stopped close to the troops, after which soldiers opened fire.

The vehicles were later identified as a fire truck, ambulances and a Palestinian UN vehicle. Fifteen people were killed, six of whom the IDF said were identified as Hamas members.

The examination also found that soldiers later crushed the vehicles and covered the bodies with metal mesh.

The IDF said the findings raised a reasonable suspicion of criminal misconduct, prompting the investigation. Command measures had previously been ordered, including a command remark against the commander of the 14th Brigade and the conclusion of the position of the deputy commander of the Golani Reconnaissance Unit.

Two separate incidents involving Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) were also reviewed.

In the first, on February 20, 2024, an IDF strike on a building in Khan Yunis killed two women and wounded seven others. The building was subsequently identified as belonging to MSF.

 Arms depot in Gaza mosque: IDF says strike hit Hamas weapons inside mosque
Arms depot in Gaza mosque: IDF says strike hit Hamas weapons inside mosque

The IDF said troops were moving along a route near Hamas compounds and identified the building as a potential threat because of its dominant position overlooking their movement. A single shell was fired at a window from which troops believed they could be observed or attacked.

According to the examination, the soldiers did not possess updated information identifying the building as an MSF facility, and they could not see the organization's signage because they were approaching from behind the building.

The Military Prosecution concluded that the troops had acted for a military purpose against an object they reasonably assessed to be a military target. It found no basis for a criminal investigation, although it identified shortcomings in the attack process and directed commanders to consider appropriate command measures.

The fifth case concerned the deaths of two MSF employees after gunfire was directed toward an MSF convoy in Gaza City on November 18, 2023.

The IDF said the convoy had initially received coordination to travel south toward Khan Yunis but was stopped at an IDF checkpoint because the soldiers there were unaware of the final approval for its movement.

The convoy later turned back toward Gaza City without the required coordination, despite being told to remain at the checkpoint until the matter was resolved. According to the IDF, troops along the route subsequently identified the convoy traveling in the opposite direction from the approved evacuation route and fired warning shots.

The examination found that the two deaths may have resulted from bullet ricochet or bullet splash from the warning fire. It found no evidence that soldiers directly targeted the convoy.

The Military Prosecution therefore concluded that the incident did not create a reasonable suspicion of criminal misconduct and that there was no basis for an investigation.

Suggested articles

  • Bennett vows to expel Qatar, Turkey from Gaza and hand their role to Egypt | i24NEWS
  • i24NEWS Exclusive: Disagreement within the al-Qassam Brigades leadership regarding disarmament | i24NEWS
  • IDF will remain in Gaza until Hamas is fully disarmed, Board of Peace official tells i24NEWS | Ariel Oseran, Guy Azriel, Amichai Stein
This article received 0 comments

Comments

  • News
  • News feed
  • Live
  • Radio
  • Shows
  • Get the Google Play app
  • Get the IOS app

Information

  • i24NEWS EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
  • i24NEWS PROFILES
  • i24NEWS TV SHOWS
  • Live radio
  • Career
  • Contact
  • Sitemap

Categories

  • Breaking News
  • Israel
  • Middle East
  • Israel elections 2026
  • International
  • INNOV'NATION

Legal

  • Terms of service
  • Privacy policy
  • Advertising Terms and Conditions
  • Accessibility declaration
  • Cookie list

Follow us

  • Subscribe to newsletter