Quantcast i24NEWS - Two Palestinians shot dead after attempted shooting attack in Jerusalem

Two Palestinians shot dead after attempted shooting attack in Jerusalem

منطقة عملية إطلاق النار في باب العامود بالقدس
The attempted Damascus Gate shooting attack is the fifth attack against Israeli security forces on Sunday

Two Palestinian assailants were shot and killed by Israeli security forces after they opened fire against police on Sunday evening at Damascus Gate in Jerusalem.

Security forces evacuated the scene over concerns of an explosive device in the area, Israel's Ynet news reports, and police say other weapons were found at the scene of the Jerusalem attack.

Police say the two assailants fired shots, but did not cause any injuries to Israeli security forces.

The shooting attack is the fifth attack against Israeli security forces on Sunday which has left five Palestinian assailants dead, and one other in critical condition.

Earlier, a female Palestinian assailant was critically wounded by Israeli security forces after attempting to stab a soldier in the southern West Bank city of Hebron.

Police say the woman, identified as 21-year-old Yasmin A-Tamimi, was shot by Israeli security forces after she pulled out a knife and attempted to stab an Israeli border policeman at a checkpoint near the Cave of the Patriarchs in Hebron.

A police spokesperson initially reported that Tamimi had been killed, but later clarified that been taken to Shaare Zedek Medical Center in serious condition, according to Israeli media.

No Israeli injuries were sustained, police said.

Shortly following the incident, violent protests erupted in the city of Hebron near the scene of the attack.

The attempted attack comes hours after a Palestinian teenager attempted to stab an Israeli woman in the Jerusalem's Armon HaNatziv neighborhood.

According to the woman's testimony, the youth approached her with a knife and attempted to stab her.

After a short struggle the assailant fled without injuring the woman, who was treated for shock.

Shortly before the attack in Jerusalem, an attempted stabbing attack at a checkpoint near Har Homa settlement, south of Jerusalem, ended with the assailant being shot and killed. No other injuries were caused in the incident, Israel's Army Radio reported.

Earlier on Sunday, two Palestinian teenagers fired on Israeli soldiers before being shot dead in the northern West Bank on Sunday, Israel's army said.

An army statement said the pair attacked Israeli vehicles west of the city of Jenin with rocks before opening fire with an automatic rifle on soldiers who arrived at the scene.

“Earlier this morning two Palestinians armed with a rifle attacked IDF soldiers,” the statement said. “The perpetrators hurled rocks at passing vehicles west of Jenin. When forces arrived at the scene an assailant opened fire at the soldiers. The force responded to the shooting and fired toward the attackers, resulting in their deaths.”

The Palestinian Health Ministry confirmed that two teenagers had been killed near the village age of al-‘Arqa in Jenin and identified them as Nihad Raed Muhammad Waked and Fouad Marwan Khaled Waked, both 15 years old.

The incident comes a day after four Israeli border police were slightly injured in a suspected car ramming attack outside a military base near Ma'ale Adumim, east of Jerusalem and a Palestinian woman was shot dead after attempting to stab a soldier in the flashpoint city of Hebron.

17-year-old Kalzar al-Uweiwi "drew a knife and attempted to stab a soldier," the army said. "Responding to the attack, forces fired at the perpetrator, resulting in her death."

The current wave of terror, which erupted at the beginning of October, has claimed the lives of over 30 Israelis, as well as an American, a Sudanese and an Eritrean.

167 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces, most while carrying out attacks against Israelis.


8Previous articleIsraeli defense chief criticizes West's lack of 'grand strategy' in Syria
8Next articleIsrael: Day of thwarted terror sees five Palestinian terrorists killed