Israeli forces terminate Barkan attacker, ending months-long manhunt
Ashraf Waleed Suliman Na’alwa, 23, was shot dead in a refugee camp near the West Bank city of Nablus following a two month-long manhunt that came to an end overnight Thursday. The Shin Bet security agency said in a statement that the operation was a joint effort with the IDF.
Na'alwa was the second Palestinian militant to be killed by Israeli security forces after earlier in the evening a man suspected of last week's Ofra shooting that injured seven and killed a newborn, was killed by IDF fire.
On October 7, Na’alwa stormed the offices of the Barkan factory where he was employed and fatally shot two Israeli colleagues, Ziv Hajbi and Kim Levengrond Yehezkel.
Since then, Israeli security forces have been engaged in an intensive manhunt during which numerous raids have been conducted throughout the West Bank.
Palestinian media reported that Na'alwa was killed in a family home inside the Askar refugee camp near Nablus where he was said to have been hiding, though the IDF did not specify where the encounter transpired.
Sources also said that four members of the Bashkar family were arrested on suspicion of hiding Na'alwa.
Last month, a West Bank military court indicted Na’alwa's mother and brother on charges that they knew of the suspect's plan and did not prevent the offense. His father was since indicted on similar charges.
Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad previously hailed Na'alwa's attack, calling it a "heroic" operation that came in response to Israeli "crimes" against Palestinians.
You need to be logged in in order to post comments. Sign up or log in