Jordan and the Palestinian Authority protested the large number of Jews who visited the Temple Mount on Saturday, marking the destruction of the two biblical temples, known as Tisha B’Av.
Between 1,000 and 1,400 Jews visited the Temple Mount, also known as Haram esh-Sharif for Muslims, where the two Jewish temples were placed before their destruction.
Today, the third holiest site for Muslims, the al Aqsa mosque, is placed on the Temple Mount, which is administered by the Waqf, a religious custodian.
10 people were reportedly arrested on Saturday in clashes with Israeli police.
Israel’s Foreign Ministry was presented with a letter from Jordan complaining over alleged violations by Jewish visitors who are barred from praying at the Temple Mount.
Jordan's Minister of State Affairs Jumana Ghanimat condemned “the provocative incursions of extremists and settlers that took place today into the courtyards of the holy site,” according to Jordan’s state run news agency Petra.
The Palestinian Authority also condemned the large presence of Jews at the Temple Mount, calling on the international community “to protect the Al-Aqsa Mosque.”
“Today is a dark day in the history of Jerusalem and Palestine,” PA spokesman Yousif Mahmoud said.
The Temple Mount is a contentious issue in the Israel-Palestinian conflict, often causing great turmoil due to Israel’s presence and control with access to the site.
The most recent clashes Clashes between Jews and Palestinians broke out on the Temple Mount on Jerusalem Day in May.
According to reports in Israeli media, a group of Jewish visitors dressed in the traditional blue and white began singing after they entered the Temple Mount. Muslims at the site then chanted back “Allahu Akbar” at the Jews. Israeli police forces then were needed to separate both groups.
Following the 1967 Six Day War, Israel annexed East Jerusalem and declared the city as its undivided capital. Jews had previously been banned from visiting the holy sites of the Temple Mount and Western Wall since the area was under Jordanian control from 1948.