• Content
  • Menu
  • Footer
  • Sign in
    • Top stories
    • Israel
    • Middle East
    • Israel elections 2026
    • International
    • INNOV'NATION
    • Videos
    • Radio
    • Shows
    • Schedules
    • Channels
    • Profiles
    • English
    • Français
    • عربى
    • עברית
  • Live

  • i24NEWS
  • International
  • US / Canada
  • US sanctions two ICC officials, Trump administration escalates pressure on court

US sanctions two ICC officials, Trump administration escalates pressure on court


US imposes sanctions on ICC President Tomoko Akane of Japan and senior trial lawyer Abdoulaye Seye of Senegal

i24NEWS
i24NEWS
3 min read
3 min read
 ■ 
  • Donald Trump
  • Sanctions
  • US Treasury
  • ICC
Google NewsFollow usFollow
FILE- This photo shows the U.S. Treasury Department building at dusk in Washington, June 6, 2019
FILE- This photo shows the U.S. Treasury Department building at dusk in Washington, June 6, 2019 AP Photo/Patrick Semansky, File

The Trump administration has imposed sanctions on two senior International Criminal Court (ICC) officials, including ICC President Tomoko Akane of Japan and senior trial lawyer Abdoulaye Seye of Senegal.

The State Department said the two officials were designated under Executive Order 14203, which authorizes sanctions against ICC personnel involved in efforts to investigate, arrest, detain or prosecute officials from countries that have not consented to the court’s jurisdiction.

Washington says the ICC has overstepped its authority by pursuing cases against US citizens and nationals of other countries that are not party to the Rome Statute, arguing that the court has no jurisdiction over them.

“The Trump Administration has been clear: the International Criminal Court is a corrupt and fatally politicized supranational court,” the State Department said, arguing that Washington would not accept what it described as the court’s “assault on state sovereignty.”

ICC Chief Prosecutor ousted
ICC Chief Prosecutor ousted

The latest sanctions are part of a broader diplomatic campaign launched by the administration last month to challenge the ICC’s authority and limit its ability to pursue US nationals.

Washington said it expects more countries to join its efforts by ending their funding and participation in the court.

The administration also warned that it could impose additional measures if necessary, saying it intends to ensure the ICC can no longer target Americans or nationals of other countries that are not parties to the Rome Statute.

Suggested articles

  • ICC judges sue Trump administration over sanctions in New York federal court | i24NEWS
  • Drama in The Hague: ICC recommends dismissal of Prosecutor Karim Khan over sexual misconduct - report | i24NEWS
  • ICC suspends chief prosecutor Karim Khan following sexual misconduct probe | i24NEWS
This article received 0 comments

Comments

  • News
  • News feed
  • Live
  • Radio
  • Shows
  • Get the Google Play app
  • Get the IOS app

Information

  • i24NEWS EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
  • i24NEWS PROFILES
  • i24NEWS TV SHOWS
  • Live radio
  • Career
  • Contact
  • Sitemap

Categories

  • Breaking News
  • Israel
  • Middle East
  • Israel elections 2026
  • International
  • INNOV'NATION

Legal

  • Terms of service
  • Privacy policy
  • Advertising Terms and Conditions
  • Accessibility declaration
  • Cookie list

Follow us

  • Subscribe to newsletter