• Content
  • Menu
  • Footer
  • Sign in
    • Top stories
    • Israel
    • Middle East
    • International
    • INNOV'NATION
    • Videos
    • Radio
    • Shows
    • Schedules
    • Channels
    • Profiles
    • English
    • Français
    • عربى
    • עברית
  • Live

  • i24NEWS
  • Middle East
  • The Gulf
  • Iraq denies knowledge of drones launched from its territory after Saudi Arabia intercepts three

Iraq denies knowledge of drones launched from its territory after Saudi Arabia intercepts three


Saudi Arabia intercepted three drones entering from Iraq on Sunday, the same day a separate drone struck a UAE nuclear plant. Baghdad says its air defense systems detected nothing.

i24NEWSHenry Kirshner ■ i24NEWS, Henry Kirshner
2 min read
2 min read
  • Iran
  • UAE
  • Drone
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Iran-Saudi Arabia
Screenshot of video of Saudi Arabia’s Air Force intercepts Iranian drones over Saudi airspace
Screenshot of video of Saudi Arabia’s Air Force intercepts Iranian drones over Saudi airspaceSaudi Defense Ministry / Screenshot

Iraq's Ministry of Foreign Affairs expressed "deep concern," on Monday over reports of drone attacks targeting Saudi Arabia. In a statement, the ministry confirmed it had opened an investigation into the incident but claimed that its air defense systems and optical equipment had not detected any launches from Iraqi territory. The ministry called on Riyadh to share relevant information to contribute to "obtaining accurate intelligence that enhances security and stability in both brotherly countries."

Saudi Arabia's Defense Ministry confirmed that on the morning of May 17, three drones were intercepted and destroyed after entering the kingdom's airspace from Iraqi airspace. Spokesman Maj. Gen. Turki al-Maliki said the ministry "reserves the right to respond at the appropriate time and place," and would take "all necessary operational measures," against any attempt to violate Saudi sovereignty or the safety of its citizens.

Last month, Saudi Arabia's foreign ministry summoned Iraq's ambassador to Riyadh over what it described as continued attacks and threats targeting the Kingdom and other Gulf states using drones launched from Iraqi territory. No Iraqi group has claimed responsibility for Sunday's drones.

The Saudi interceptions came alongside a separate drone attack on Sunday against the UAE, hitting Abu Dhabi's Barakah nuclear plant. Saudi Arabia condemned that attack, with its foreign ministry saying it threatens regional security and stability. Despite a drone actually hitting the plant, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said that radiation levels there remain normal, and no injuries were reported.


After the start of the war with Iran, Tehran-backed Iraqi groups intervened in support of Iran, striking US facilities in Iraq and the wider region, including Gulf countries. Iraq has repeatedly said it does not allow its territory to be used in attacks against other countries. Gulf states, including Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, and Jordan, issued a joint statement last month demanding Baghdad act immediately to prevent such attacks.

This article received 0 comments

Comments

  • News
  • News feed
  • Live
  • Radio
  • Shows
  • Get the Google Play app
  • Get the IOS app

Information

  • i24NEWS EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
  • i24NEWS PROFILES
  • i24NEWS TV SHOWS
  • Live radio
  • Career
  • Contact
  • Sitemap

Categories

  • Breaking News
  • Israel
  • Middle East
  • International
  • INNOV'NATION

Legal

  • Terms of service
  • Privacy policy
  • Advertising Terms and Conditions
  • Accessibility declaration
  • Cookie list

Follow us

  • Subscribe to newsletter